Frequently Asked Questions

For Employees

What do I need to bring?+

A bed with mattress will be provided in your room.

Please bring the below items:

  • Bedding including pillows, sheets, duvet/sleeping bag.
  • Towels and toiletries
  • Food items
  • Bike or scooter if you have one (great way to see Port Fairy)
  • Bike lock (if applicable)
  • BYO safe or lockable storage (for valuables left in room)

Basic kitchen items such as cutting boards, knives, pots and pans, crockery, cutlery, fridge, oven and microwave are provided in the communal kitchen facilities. If you use the communal facilities, such as crockery and cutlery, you must wash, dry and put away these items after use. You are welcome to bring your own crockery and cutlery and store in your room if you choose.

How much does accommodation cost?+

It is up to the employer to agree specific financial arrangements with the employee.


Room configuration options:

  • Private room: 1 worker per room for $175 per week, worker can bring 1 guest.
  • Twin share room: 2 workers per room for $87.50 each per week, additional guests prohibited.
  • Double and single room*: 3 workers per room for $58.35 each per week, additional guests prohibited

*Limited rooms available.

What are the accommodation options? Will I be sharing a room?+

Rooms can be booked privately or twin shared with a maximum of 2 workers per room. Room or site sharing arrangements can be negotiated with your employer.

Communal kitchen, recreation, lounge and bathrooms.

Free Public wifi

Please refer to the first question on the employee section for accommodation cost.

Who do I talk to if I have an issue with the accommodation?+

Your employer is your first point of contact.

What if I lose my key / get locked out of my room?+

Please look after your key! Replacement keys will cost $50. If you are locked out of your room a call out fee of $50 will be charged to you for the Parks team to let you back inside. To get back into your locked room please call the Parks Coordinator on 0408 391 967.

What is there to do for ‘play’?+

So much! We recommend visiting the Port Fairy Visitor Information Centre to find the adventures that are right for you. You can connect with the visitor information team and view their suggested itineraries at @IAMPORTFAIRY or or email [email protected]

How can I connect with Businesses who are hiring?+

A quick Google or Google Map search of Port Fairy cafes/bars/restaurants/pubs will help you to start connecting with potential employers.

Need a hand connecting with employers? Commerce Moyne has a connection service that will put you in contact with employers looking for summer workers. However, to avoid disappointment you can also target the businesses you would like to work at directly.

Contact list+

General issues with accommodationEmployerAsk your employer
EmergencyEmergency Services000
Lost/replacement keysParks Coordinator0408 391 967
Information on Port FairyVisitor Information Centre(03) 5568 2682
TransportPort Fairy Taxis0419 764 983

For Employers

How old do employees need to be to Work and Play?+

Workers need to eighteen years or older to take part in the Work and Play program 

Can I apply for the Work & Play Accommodation for my employees?+

If your business is based in the Moyne Shire your businesses is eligible for this program. Preference will be given to Port Fairy visitor facing businesses such as hospitality and tourism attractions, as this program aims to improve the visitor experience over summer by aiding the visitor economy to fill staffing shortages and extend their opening hours.

Who is responsible for the Accommodation?+

You, the employer, will hold the license agreement with Moyne Shire Council. Please refer to your license agreement for responsibility breakdown.

Payment of the weekly accommodation fee will be made by the worker/s staying in the room.

What should I do once I find an employee?+

Complete and submit the Accommodation Request Online Form. The form will ask you to provide information about your business, the employee/s you wish to accommodate, the dates required, and a copy of the license agreement. Once the application has been assessed we will be in contact to let you know if you have been successful. If your application is successful the Parks Coordinator will confirm the booking, before contacting the workers directly to take payment.  

Who do I report damage of the accommodation to?+

Please contact:

Jason Albert
0408 391 967
[email protected]

Refer to item 9 listed in your License Agreement for more details on costs associated with damages.

What do I do if my employee loses their key to their accommodation?+

Please advise the parks coordinator if you require more than one key. If any key/s are lost by your employees there will be a $50 fee per key which will be invoiced to you.

What should I do if I need someone outside business hours?+

Please contact Jason Albert 0408 391 967

Any associated charges with the call out fee will be invoiced to the employer.

How can I connect with willing workers?+

Register for Commerce Moyne’s Connection Service here to gain access to a secure database of prospective workers. If you’re already signed up for the Make It Work connection service, please note that this separate program and database, and you will need to register separately for it.

Can I promote the program myself?+

Yes! Share the message far and wide.

Download the Work and Play Toolkit for Businesses here for all promotional materials:

We have created a range of Canva templates for you to use. You can edit the text, change images and download as a .png or .mp4 Video before sharing on you social media. Access story templates (with animiation) here:

Access Instagram grid templates here:

Access Facebook post templates here:


Application form+

Click here for the application form